In 1959, recent German immigrants the Clasen brothers opened a European bakery in Madison, Wisconsin and marketed on a small scale to friends and local neighbors. The business expanded and became the Clasen Candy Company in 1966. Four years later, the brothers began to produce and market their own confectioner's coating and changed the name to Clasen Quality Coatings, Inc. to reflect the company's new focus.
In 1998, Ralph Clasen sold the company to a private entrepreneur and current owner with the intent of maintaining the philosophy and tradition that made Clasen successful. Since this transfer of ownership, CQC has transitioned from a small, regional compound coating manufacturer to a major supplier of both standard and customized formulations and value-added, confectionery ingredients across North America. Physical expansion has yielded additional facilities in Middleton and Watertown, with Corporate Offices and the CQC Innovation Center in Madison. In 2009, the company rolled its first Standard of Identity chocolate into production and a year later, opened its own private trucking fleet to minimize transportation time.